Mini Meatball Supper
We love a pasta dinner, of that there is no doubt. It is always a crowd pleaser - a good win with playdates and family dinners alike. Of all our favourites, however, it’s our Mini Meatballs pasta dish that is the real winner, which can be served on courgette noodles or pasta. When I shared a photo on my instagram at the weekend lots of followers wanted to know how we make ours, so I’ve shared the recipe below!
I always double the ingredients to make an extra batch for the freezer - why not do the same? I also make the meatballs “mini” in size (about 1.5 inch in diammetre) as they make the perfect little finger food for the baby-led weaning stage, and they are also a lot less intimidating for older eaters if they're small. The other advantage is mini meatballs are very quick to cook, which is perfect for busy parents and hungry children.
Serves approximately 4
For the meatballs:
- 400g lean mince beef
- 50g wholemeal breadcrumbs (I use one slice of bread and blitz in my nutribullet for super smooth breadcrumbs)
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp of grated parmesan
- 1 tspn fresh basil, chopped
You can also add seasoning and crushed garlic for extra flavour - no salts for under 1s.
For the tomato sauce:
- 2 cans of chopped tomatoes
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- fresh basil, chopped
How to make them
- Start by preparing the meatballs, mix all the ingredients together in a bowl.
- Take small handfuls of mixture and roll into small balls, set aside
- Start the tomato sauce by heating some olive oil in a large pan on the stove, a le creuset dish is perfect.
- Add the onion and garlic and sautee for a few minutes, stirring regularly so it doesn't burn
- Add the chopped tomatoes and most of the basil (save some for sprinkling at the end)
- Bring the sauce to the boil, add the meatballs and pop the lid on. Simmer for 15-20 minutes until the meatballs are cooked through and there isn't any pink meat showing. I always cut one meatball in half to check
- Sprinkle with the remaining basil
- Serve with pasta of your choice or some green vegetables or crusty bread.
Hope you enjoy it as much as we do
Caroline & The Clean Little Tummies xxxx