Clean Little Fish Fingers
2017...It's finally here! We're over the festivities, and all the change-ups that it brings, and finally back to normal. And "normal" calls for... meal planning and getting back some of the routine we left behind in, well, November really!
Of course we at Clean Little Tummies like to ease ourselves into the New Year gently - no one fancies being stuck in the kitchen and not being able to play with all their new toys do they? I have a lovely simple, clean little tummy pleasing recipe that will take just minutes and make a good comfort-eating family meal for you without any of the indulgence of December.
Clean Little Fingers are my "clean" version of fish fingers. Fish fingers are known as kids' food, but let's be honest - grown ups enjoy a fish finger too, don't they? Mine are made with salmon and a combination of white and wholemeal breadcrumbs that make a really wholesome family dinner. Serve them with some sweet potato wedges, green vegetables or a big garden salad and they really are one of the simplest dinners around.
We all know the benefits of fish in our diets: Salmon is an excellent source of protein, vitamins and minerals as well as containing the all important omega 3 oils which improve brain and heart function. This means that using salmon in our Clean Little Fingers is not only a tasty alternative to the shop-bought ones but also hugely beneficial to our health.
What do I need?
Here is what you need to make enough Clean Little Fingers for a family of 4. Of course you can increase or decrease the ingredients accordingly to fit your family.
- 4 salmon fillets, skinned and de-boned
- 100g seasoned breadcrumbs (I use a mixture of white and wholemeal but use what you have or choose Gluten Free if desired)
- 1 egg, beaten.
- Potato wedges (baked not fried), salad and some yoghurt pesto dip to serve.
What do I need to do?
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C and line a baking sheet with baking parchment.
- Cut the salmon into small finger pieces, about 10 cm long, you can make these bigger or smaller depending on your preference. If you are doing baby-led weaning make sure they are the right size for your little one to be able to pick up.
- Beat the egg and in another bowl place the breadcrumbs, season if desired. You can add some chilli flakes or herbs if you'd like to add extra flavour.
- Dip each piece of salmon in the egg and then coat fully in the breadcrumbs.
- Place on the prepared baking tray.
- Once all the fingers are coated place in the oven for 15-20 minutes until salmon is cooked through and the fingers are golden brown.
- Serve with vegetables and wedges with a side of natural yoghurt mixed with some of our homemade pesto.
Enjoy and a very Happy New Year to you all!
Caroline & The Clean Little Tummies xxxx
P.S. Please don't forget to share and tag your photos of our recipes. We love to see them x
P.P.S. Of course these would work with white fish, but I urge you to try the salmon especially if your little ones aren't salmon fans as this really does seem to encourage them to eat it!